where it all began

These pictures show the houses in Albert Road Witham where, in 1904 William and Rebecca lived and started making gloves in the front room.

number 11

 

William and Rebecca moved to Witham from the West Country in 1904 and using their glove making skills and experience start making gloves in their front room. In the same year the form The National Glove Company and by the following year the were employing ten girls. These pictures show number 11 in 1904 and 2016.

no 11 1904
The house where it all began seen in 2016

Number 13 & 14

 

By 1905 the business needed more space and so William and Rebecca acquired a large semi detached house just along the road and production started at number 13 and 14. It wasn't long before this too wasn't big enough for the expanding business. These pictures show how it looked in 1905 and 2016.

nos 13&14 1905
nos 13&14 2016

more production needed

As the business grew manufacturing in Albert Road couldn't keep up.

1912 SKETCH
1912 factory

FACTORY PRODUCTION

Business grew and the space in the houses in Albert Road was not big enough to keep up with demand and so the first factory was built on land just a few hundred yards away and production started in 1912 putting The National Glove Company in a strong position to continue its development.

 

 

 

Witham from the station 1960s

FROM THE STATION

This photograph was taken from the platform on Witham train station around 1960. The original and first factory that had been built in 1912 can be seen in the top right hand corner of the photograph

 

still more production needed

1940 SKETCH

more expansion

During the war years glove production was devoted to to the war effort and the company produced many types of military gloves. By 1947  demand for Pinkham gloves outgrew the production capability and a second factory was opened in 1948 providing another two hundred jobs.

READ ALL ABOUT IT

THE ESSEX NEWSMAN reported on September 17th 1948 the opening of the new factory and painted a vivid picture of the effort that had gone in to getting production up and running. Column three takes the reader back to the beginning and the story of the lamp.

With thanks to the The British Newspaper Archive britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

New factory 17 09 1948

IT'S ALL OVER

Seen here just before its demolition in 1980s

1980
Site in 2016

A NEW LIFE

This is how the site looked in 2016 following the completion of the Templemead  housing development

From the air

These photographs of the Witham site were taken on April 9th 1949 following the completion of the second factory in 1948. The new factory on the right of the pictures dwarfs the original factory that had been built in 1912.

© Historic England Archive (Aerofilms Collection)

Many thanks go to Historic England Archive for allowing the use of these photographs. Much more of England can be seen at:
Historic England Archive   www.britainfromabove.org.uk

aerial 1
aerial 3
aerial 7
aerial 2
aerial 4
aerial 5
aerial 6

© Historic England Archive (Aerofilms Collection)

still more production needed

After the war in 1945 production grew to meet the ever increasing demand. The factory that had been built in 1912 could not cope so in 1947 work started on a new factory along side it.